The natural process of skin shedding is part of the natural process for skin renewal. It occurs all over the body, including the head. Skin shedding can increase if fungal infections are present in favourable conditions. Malassezia is the fungal infection that causes Dandruff. Malassezia feeds off oil secreted from hair follicles. This increases skin renewal times by a couple weeks to a few days.
The infection can be spread through the use of towels, brushes, and combs in a communal setting. Before treatment can begin, the type of Dandruff must be identified. It can be either waxy or dry. Waxy Dandruff is caused by oily sebum combining with dry skin cells. Dry dandruff occurs when tiny white bits of skin are left on the head or attached to the hair. There are many home remedies that can be used to treat dandruff.
Natural and prescribed remedies are both options for treating dandruff. You can get prescription remedies from your doctor and you can make natural remedies at home. To ensure safety, home remedies should be used with caution. Chemical reaction can occur when chemicals are mixed together, as well as poisoning by ingredients in home-made recipes.
- Hot olive oil or Coconut oil – Massage your scalp with hot olive oil or coconut oil before going to bed. This will moisturize the skin and reduce itching and flaking.
- Apply lemon juice and vinegar to the scalp in the morning. Leave hair for 2 minutes, then wash it with a good moisturizing shampoo.
- Rosemary and Sage, Thyme, or Neem – Make a strong tea from Rosemary or Sage, Thyme, or Neem leaves. Boil the leaves in water for 24 hours. Strain the water and add it to freshly washed hair. Style your hair as usual, but avoid styling products that can increase dandruff.
- Aloe Vera – Apply fresh Aloe Vera gel or crushed leaves to your scalp. Leave it on for at least 15 minutes before you wash your hair.
- Beetroot – Boil the beetroot and make a paste. Apply to your scalp before going to bed. Red beet can stain hair and clothing, so avoid it. It is best to use white beetroot.
- Egg – Beat three eggs with three tablespoons water. Apply the mixture to damp hair and massage into the scalp. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Use lukewarm water to wash hair.