Sinus headaches are often caused by sinus infections or blocked sinuses. Sinus headaches are caused by thick mucus that blocks sinus passages. It can be very difficult to treat headaches caused by this condition. Consistently taking medications can cause side-effects that can be harmful and can lead to damage to internal organs such as the liver. It is best to first try natural remedies to relieve painful headaches before you resort to OTC medications.
What To Do?
- Keep hydrated. Drink plenty of water to do this. The headache is caused by the mucus congeal or thickening. If you feel the first signs of a headache, increase your water intake. Clear liquids such as water or tea are much more effective in irrigating your body. When the nose is stuffed up, it can be difficult for the patient to drink enough water. You can make it easier by carrying a water bottle and taking small sips throughout the day.
- Sinus headaches can also be caused by dry weather. The sinuses can become dry and blocked when it is this kind of weather. There are many methods to increase humidity levels in the air. You can place a humidifier in your room or a hot water pot in it. A hot steam tent is another common way to relieve a sinus headache. To make this, heat some water in a large pot. Now, place the pot on a plate. Place a large towel over your head so that it covers the pot. The steam from the steam can be inhaled to thin the mucus and relieve a sinus headache.
- Some herbs can also be used to reduce the pain associated with a sinus-related headache. Inhaling the steam from the steaming water, and adding peppermint or eucalyptus to it, will instantly open up the nasal passages, allowing for easier breathing. Grape seed extract can also shrink the membranes, which is known to relieve sinus headaches.
- A hot compress on the forehead can also help to relieve the headache. To do this, simply warm a small towel with hot water and place it on your face. This will heat the nasal cavities and loosen the mucus, which would further ease the headache.
- Cold compresses on the forehead are also effective in relieving sinus headache pain. A cold compress can reduce the severity of headaches by shrinking the membranes.