Some may think that there’s not any connection between what you eat and the condition of your mind. This is a misconception, depression can really be prevented, or at least diminished, by a healthy and nutritional diet. Aside from a physical advantage, there’s a mental and psychological benefit to this sort of diet too. The source of a person’s depression could come from a variety of different facets.
What to do?
It’s recommended that you seek the support of a certified or licensed profession for appropriate medical advice. Take a second and think of fuel to your body very similar to a car or another machine runs on gasoline, oil, etc.. The quality of what you put in that machine is 100% related to its performance and lifespan. I know this because I’ve seen the effects of having a car (and body) which was running on cheap merchandise or has not been tuned up or given an oil change in quite some time.
Is it crazy to say that if you frequently eat the wrong kinds of food (hamburgers, pizzas, soda, etc.), this will change your body followed by your psychological and emotional state? You might have heard the expression:”The more Colorful that the Plate, the Lower the Weight.” This expression is also important if you would like to rid yourself of depression in addition to shed a few pounds. Does a diet full of processed and sugary foods make you fat, but it also affects how you feel.
Sadly, the Standard American Diet or the “S.A.D.” is filled with just that. As generic or cliche as it sounds, you are what you eat. So as to delay the effects of aging, bear in mind that research and studies demonstrate that diets which are filled with the right quantity of vitamins and minerals create an adequate quantity of dopamine, a mood-enhancing compound, while the latter will result in a shortage. As both a mood stabilizer and a neurotransmitter, serotonin is a chemical which aids with relieving your stress, depression, and nervousness.
- Fruits: Some might be surprised by this but fruits such as sour cherries, pineapple, bananas and plums are great for raising your spirits. Also, cherries contain melatonin, a hormone that comes from dopamine. It’s discharged when it’s dark and assists with your circadian rhythm (sleep cycle).
- Protein: Tryptophan is an amino acid found in turkey which increases the production of serotonin in your brain. Naturally, turkey can also be a mood enhancer. It’s not alone however, eggs, seafood, whey protein, and beef all assist in raising serotonin levels also. One caveat is that you ought to try and eat meats that have been grass-fed, pasture raised, or hormone elevated products. Additionally, you should add nuts to your diet because they also boost the production of protein. In addition to that, they also have selenium in them that is a chemical that’s rare in many a depressed patient. Legumes and lean meats should also be added to the list of foods containing selenium. One needs to note that eating snacks full of sugar can stymie the production of serotonin. Therefore, it’s helpful to substitute sweets or other processed snacks with their counterpart, natural and whole foods. Lean protein and stuff you will probably find with no bar code on it such as nuts and fruits.
- Carbohydrates: A fantastic number of carbohydrate sources in your diet will increase your serotonin level and assist with depression-related difficulties. You’ll want to bring some whole grain bread, sweet and white potatoes, and some pasta (in moderation, of course).
- Dairy: These meals will also make you feel not as stressed. Milk and cheese are both full of mood enhancing chemicals and will also boost serotonin levels. This pigment is found primarily in carrots but also found in broccoli, apricots, and cantaloupe. It may also be rather a help in ridding yourself of depression.
- Citrus fruits are another food that’s excellent for staving off depression.
- Vitamin E has a couple of advantages, one important one is being a massive element in immune system procedures and needless to say, helping in preventing or relieving depression. Wheat germ nuts, vegetable oils, and seeds all have vitamin E in them. A wonderful healthy combo of complex carbohydrates mixed with fruits and veggies can be a massive aid with depression or some other moods swings, period.
Make certain you avoid any snacks that are processed, usually you will find packed (see biscuits, chips, etc.). Also, concentrate on adding fish to your diet and swallowing fresh produce on a regular basis. It’s like clockwork, when you repair your diet you will most likely start to exercise a good deal more frequently. This is only going to help with being depressed and placing you in a terrific mood. Note that the more you exercise, the more your body will start to manufacture more endorphins that is another hormone that will improve your mood. It’s complementary, exercise and a good diet will make you feel much better than a sedentary lifestyle. In actuality, there are studies done where the results showed that people who feature a routine of healthy eating and exercising don’t have to take some anti-depressants or some other mood-enhancing drugs. It’s easy, cut the bad things from your diet and get your heart rate up with some type of physical activity on a regular basis. By doing this, you don’t need to rely on costly and sometimes dangerous prescription drugs to get your body function how it can naturally.